Calcium and Phosphates (Bone Metabolism) - Healtopedia Malaysia - Buy Now, Pay Later Health Screening in Malaysia

Calcium and Phosphates (Bone Metabolism)


Calcium and phosphorus, which are part of the teeth and bones, are important in the organism. As we need a large amount of these minerals, it is necessary to incorporate them in our diet. At the same time, these minerals are involved in other functions, among which we can mention

What Facts?

Bone acts as a calcium storage centre for deposits and withdrawals as needed by the blood via continual bone remodelling. An important aspect of calcium metabolism is plasma calcium homeostasis, the regulation of calcium ions in the blood plasma within narrow limits. The level of the calcium in plasma is regulated by the hormones parathyroid hormone (PTH) and calcitonin.


Osteoporosis and other metabolic bone diseases form a large group of disorders of bone metabolism. Since bone loss is a natural consequence of aging, the development of age-associated low bone mass with subsequent fragility fractures of the spine or hip is a major factor in both patient morbidity and healthcare costs among societies with increasingly aged population.

What Causes?

Calcium is the fifth element in order of abundance. An adult has almost 1 kg of calcium, which is combined with phosphorus forming hydroxyapatite crystals, mainly in bones. This represents 99% of the total calcium; the other 1 % is part of the extra and intracellular fluid. Therefore, we can say that the physiology of the metabolism of calcium and phosphate are closely related processes

How to Identify?

The amount of phosphorus in the organism differs from calcium levels because the ingestion of phosphorus in the diet is high and its absorption in the intestine has no limitations. In comparison, the ingestion of calcium is more limited in the diet, and its absorption by the intestine is less efficient

What Symptoms?

The excretion of both minerals is through the urine, regulated by the kidney. Phosphorus deficiency in the diet is rare and only generates bone loss, pain, debility and anorexia. Moreover, calcium deficiency can produce bone diseases, such as osteoporosis.

What to Do?

See a specialist and get advice from the doctor on the bones because their more fragile and weaker, because of the loss of minerals. This deficiency is more common in women with menopause.

You were not leaving your cart just like that, right?

Enter your details below to save your shopping cart for later. And, who knows, maybe we will even send you a sweet discount code :)

Shopping cart
There are no products in the cart!
Continue shopping
    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop
      Apply Coupon